Thursday 15 November 2012

Tweaking Inconsistent Letterforms


---

I did a few tests with my typeface and this is what I found to be problematic.  The bowls were too big on the R and the P letterforms, the bar was too low on the original E and F, and the S didn't look straight enough.  Here is how I quickly rectified this, keeping to the consistency of the typeface.




I felt the letterform stretched too far, although it was technically in line with the rest of the typeface - visually it didn't look consistent.  I trimmed the arm back slightly and raised and extended the bar to make the letterforms look more uniform.




Here are a few experiments with the bowl's curve - making it less rounded to keep with the visual style of the typeface.


Previously, I think I overcomplicated the S by trying to make it too rounded - I simply straightened out the spine of the S to simplify the letterform.

---



---

EDIT: To make the O look visually correct, a slight vertical increase has to be made, which will send the letterform above the base line and cap line.



No comments:

Post a Comment