Thursday 15 November 2012

Developing My Own Typeface









The typeface is based on Univers, in terms of size and aesthetics.  I want the letterforms to be as simple as possible, keeping the consistency that is required in a typeface, ready for manipulation in the style of the Futhark alphabet.  I have tried to keep the letterforms around a width:height ratio of 5:8, but of course there needs to be exceptions in wider letterforms such as M and W.  
Above are documented developments of letterforms that needed tweaking, some of the problems that I came across were:
  • Diagonal aspects of a letterform, such as the linking bar on the N, looked visually thinner when sticking to the grid - these needed quick tweaks.
  • Working to a smaller scale proved difficult when trying to centre parts of the letterform, such as the bar on the E.  By doubling the size of the letterform, effectively making the grid smaller, this was able to be rectified.
  • It was difficult to make the top of the G look accurate to the bottom, which was solved with a curve to finish off the letterform.  Consequently, the C had to be altered in this way to remain consistent - although I believe it looks visually stronger and takes advantage of the geometric theme of the typeface.

Here is my first rendition of my typeface, keeping consistency with the C that I originally created:


No comments:

Post a Comment