Wednesday 7 November 2012

Emotion & Type - Photocopier Experiments



To really promote fear, I felt I needed to distort and damage my current typographic design.  It's all well and good applying effects in Photoshop and Illustrator, but the software is too controlled, in my opinion, and each experiment is predictable.  For just £1, I am able to fully experiment with the paper - ripping, destroying and warping the type with the use of a photocopier.  I used masking tape to apply minor rips, particularly on the black, to enhance the emotion.

The black seemed to work better for these experiments, it picked up the wear & tear of the photocopy screen more effectively, which gave it a scratchy, more erratic look.  The black also makes the whole piece more daunting, and paints a better picture of fear and the actions and thoughts when somebody is going through this emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment