Wednesday 14 November 2012

Anaglyph Typography

After doing some research, I found that it's pretty simple to create 3D images. By combining red and cyan, it creates a 3D effect (also known as an anaglyph) that can be seen when wearing 3D glasses.  Seen as though mine have just come through the mail, I thought it would be a good time to experiment.



These were all in CMYK.  I started with plain text, duplicated and changed one to red, one to cyan.  I then offset them slightly and added a multiply effect, which creates the anaglyph image. The next stage, because I am designing for print, was to set it to the right colour mode - CMYK.  It changed the image drastically, giving it more of a purple outcome than black. When viewing with the glasses, however, the type came off dark.






The first example using CMYK was too harsh with the glasses, so I added 70% opacity to soften the edges. I then added an image to see it's effectiveness. I found the image added to the 3D effect as there was something in the background to distinguish it.  A dark background also helped it stand out, whereas a white background had little to no effect.  I printed them out to see their physical effect and found the same applied to print. 


No comments:

Post a Comment