Thursday 15 November 2012

Starting my Custom Typeface




I started to experiment with the C letterform of the Univers typeface (top image).  I manipulated the letterform to straighten out the curve of the C - and started to wonder if it would be easier to create my own letterform so it could look consistent - rather than just a distortion of the original.  I really wanted to simplify the letter C, to come out with something that can be easily experimented, picked apart and cut away in the manner of the Futhark symbols.

Here, are the results of my exploration of line and geometric shapes to come away with a clean & simplified letterform.  One that has a consistent line weight, and more importantly, is open for experimentation on a more effective scale than the Univers or Myriad Pro letterforms.


No comments:

Post a Comment