Tuesday 26 April 2011

Laser Cutting - Experimentation

I put my induction to good use and booked myself in for a laser-cutting session to produce some final cuts.  I had some troubles, at first my illustrator files wouldn't import, but eventually got used to how the machine worked and I feel that there is huge potential in not only this, but future briefs.

I took Matt's advice and used it more as a tool, so I went into the session with mostly raw images.  I placed them into APS Ethos and made completely original cuts based on my previous experiments with the scalpel.


This is a design that has just been cut, when I lifted the lid.  The laser is powerful and doesn't fail to give a clean cut to the images, which makes for outstanding quality.


I set the origin wrong in my first attempt, the right side was extremely flimsy.


My first experimental piece resulted in the legs of the emu being cut as there was nothing to hold them in place.  I placed it further up and made it slightly smaller in my next attempt, and there were no problems the second time round.



These were my most unsuccessful attempts, but it taught me about the importance of a bounding box in illustrator.  They were just floating images, so I had to set the origins manually.

No comments:

Post a Comment