Wednesday 20 April 2011

Birds to Silhouettes

To accompany my silhouettes, I needed a range of bird outlines that I could involve in my work.  The birds are very distinctive, I traced the ones that had their beaks protruding to enhance the recognisability of the creatures.  These are some print screens that document what I did, and some of the problems I encountered.





The bird's feet in this image looked fine in the photograph due to shade and colour, but when I blacked the whole bird out only one of the legs was fully visible.  This gave the illusion that it had two feet attached to one leg.  To combat this, I completely ignored the back leg and only included the front foot.  It looks a bit more two-dimensional but at the same time does not look strange.




My original drawings stay true to the photographs, but the bird in this one had an unsightly, out of place bulge on its neck.  This was due to the feathers, but I resolved this by taking away the bulge - showing more of the beak.





In this image, I had to improvise the bird's feet, as it was masked by the grass.  Half of one was showing, so I finished it off as I imagined it (based on previous feet).  Once I was happy with them, I mimicked it on the other foot based on perspective and position.

No comments:

Post a Comment