Friday 2 December 2011

Initial Development: Generating Ideas

After getting briefed and receiving two words to research, it was time to get our teeth into some design for motion.  Our first workshop in the module - coming in with big ideas, but limited experience on storyboarding ideas.  This is how I went on, links to my research below.


---


  


In response to my research on 'drop' and 'disperse' I came up with a few key ideas that I quickly sketched down to clear my head.  These will be used to develop my ideas in the form of storyboards.  I chose the letter 'R' because it has more qualities that can be experimented with when changing the state of it.  It is a more challenging shape than 'D' for example, and would help to progress my sequences effectively by giving me a more explored outcome.





After a 2 hour workshop, we came out with these results.  3 pages, 15 sequences - all 5 frames long - of what we felt described our word(s) in motion.

The first sheet had a few limitations, the letterforms couldn't move, they had to remain static.  As we got onto the other sheets, and got used to the concept of working for motion, we were able to move the letterforms around, rotate them and work in 3D - where the 'R' would move closer and further away to the frame.

This was my first workshop in storyboards, I didn't explore it in previous courses.  It has given me a perspective of how difficult working for motion can be; we were working for 5 seconds at the most basic level, using something as simple as a letterform as the main subject.  Yet, it was hard to get my head around the fact that I was working for the fourth dimension: time.  

That being said, it was a very productive session, enjoyable enough and got some key ideas down on paper that I can look over before the next session.

---

No comments:

Post a Comment