Friday 11 February 2011

More Experimentation - Photoshop

Using this photo, I experimented with the pen tool and what it can achieve in the process of communicating colour.  The object was the main point of focus this time, so I needed to approach this differently to the 'man with a keyboard' image.


I simply used the pen tool to create a path around the yellow book holder.  Once I did this, I made the selection, inverted the selection, and desaturated the background of the image.  This was already a very effective way of displaying a strong example of my colour.




Shapes had been incredibly useful in my previous experiments, so I decided to use them again in a bid to enhance the image.  As the yellow book holder already holds its own as a strong design, they didn't have the same effect as working with a flat, square image like before.  Shapes would be much better off used in a subtle way in images such as this one.



I circled out a big chunk of the desaturation, and inverted, to discover whether this was a fitting way to use the shapes.  This only ended in the two colours battling against each other, however, which made for uncomfortable viewing.




I finished by desaturating the circled area, which led to creating a spotlight.  I then added a reflection to complement the spotlight effect by duplicating the background image, selecting the path and deleting everything but the book holder.  I then put the cut out layer in front of the main image and added a layer style to blend them more efficiently.  I thought this was a bit too bright so I took away the spotlight and enlarged the B slightly to gain a contrasting, cartoon-like design that screamed bright yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment