Wednesday 17 October 2012

Best of Films: Initial Icon Designs - Action

I started with Action, quite a popular genre with many films to represent it.  I brainstormed subjects that fall under the category, and responded visually to them with simple icon-friendly ideas.





I then decided to digitise some of them, to see if they could be vectored effectively and clearly:

I began to re-create the diagram I had sketched out through idea development.  I sheared the pistol shape, cleaned the edges and rounded the corners before converting it to a stroke.  Both the human rights and the knife and fork icons, researched here, use iconography that doesn't connect up - but still manages to convey an idea and visual recognisability.  

I like the idea of one-line icons, it promotes simplicity and can also encourage viewers to try and replicate them through hand-drawn methods.  The only issue that arises is visual accuracy - the main aim for icons is to communicate an idea clearly - are these icons ticking that box?

Below is a mini-set that all reflect on the genre, the red being my initial take on the icon to represent the whole category - an exclamation mark that provokes attention:


No comments:

Post a Comment