Monday 21 November 2011

Basic Layout: Final Editorial

I started by setting up the document, working to an A6 per page format before transferring it to a full A3 page.  I chose a 10mm margin as I felt that it was enough space, with a standard 3mm bleed for images to be printed outside the designated area.

I chose four margins in response to the test of the magazine copy on my hotdog fold.  The maximum number of columns I should have on this paper size is two, as it can fit a comfortable 6-7 words per line.  It makes the grid a lot less restricting breaking this down into four columns, for example I could spread the copy over three columns or let it run down the middle as one stand alone column.



This is a quick mock up to test the capabilities of the size I am dealing with.  The heading is in 21pt Gills Sans Light and the copy in 8pt Helvetica - staying consistent with the poster.  Now, the amount of words on this page is 320, and this fills the whole page.  The text isn't allowed to breathe this way, and therefore I think the maximum I should put on each page should be 200.

I also think the text is too close to the edge of the page, so I aim to make the margins smaller to adjust this.



I kept the inside margin at 10mm to keep the gap between both pages visually correct.  I then copied over the same text as the first screenshot to accommodate the new grid setup and the whole thing seems easier on the eye and much more pleasant to read.




These are examples of where I started to experiment with a three column, angled and centred text.  The angle doesn't really work within the context of my editorial; it just feels like it's placed there for the sake of being experimental.  I like how the three column grid reads, the words flow more and it doesn't seem too overwhelming at first sight - something I was afraid would happen.

---



No comments:

Post a Comment